Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Breaking Training

One thing I never do is train. I figure anything I might do, I may as well just do.

I find the idea of getting ready to do something as opposed to just doing it hard to swallow; consequently, I’d prefer to dive right in and end up over my head rather than learning to swim beforehand. I’d call this “on the job training” if it had anything to do with a job.

Lots of people I know and respect take bicycle “training rides.” They tell me that they are “getting in shape” for some future event. Good for them. But not for me.

Now, no doubt part of my reluctance to train is that I fancy myself already prepared for whatever challenge I’m willing to be up for. (No doubt as well this limits the challenges I’m prepared to undertake, but so be it.)

“Life is not a dress rehearsal” goes the old saw; I myself am not convinced that it isn’t; however, if indeed it is, then it’s clear to me that opening night never arrives. As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t mind if life IS a dress rehearsal; I’m just glad it’s not one of those double-time run-throughs we used to do before the show opened.

Perhaps I’m just opposed to the idea of training in general; while I do appreciate the idea of improving one’s overall health and fitness through various activities (or at least using those activities to keep one’s well-being steady while engaging in behaviors that would be deleterious to it otherwise), I push back at the notion that we might be doing such-and-such in order to arrive at some place we’re currently not.

In other words, rather than seeing “training” as a means to some end, I’d prefer to think of it as an end it itself. My bike rides aren’t meant to get me anywhere other than their destination, and that’s a place, not a state of being.

1 Comments:

Blogger MattyMattMatt said...

Why dont you swap out the word "training" with "adventure"

I do "training" rides and though they can be a means to an end (get me in shape to do the RSVP), they are always a chance to get out of the house and ride for hours and hours.

Calling it "training" also helps with getting the wife to think i am doing something more nobel than getting on the bike, puff-puffing and listining to tunes on my handle bar speaker-mp3 dealeeoh.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home