Monday, December 31, 2007

Obligatory End-of-Year Posting

Reflecting on the year that was, I can only say, “Hey! Is that another gray hair on my arm?”

And pausing to consider all that has happened in 2007, I’m struck by random thought. (Watch for those; they could put someone’s eye out.)

It’s been a good year, overall, except for the ongoing horror that is American foreign policy, the collapse of the credit market, floods, tidal waves, mudslides, shootings, stabbings, and explosions; come to think of it, if it weren’t for my darling family and friends, bicycles, yoga, students and colleagues who made me think about things I hadn’t before, the occasional consciousness-altering cannabinoid, some good books, a handful of movies, long summer evenings, bracing winter mornings, and that Youtube video of the Hipster Olympics, we might have wanted to skip the last twelve months altogether.

I turned fifty in 2007, but then again, so did Susan Powter, so that’s certainly nothing to crow about. On the other hand, the Frisbee and The Cat in the Hat also had their semi-centennials this year, so I’m not in completely forgettable company.

At least 2007 will go down in history as the year that Latvia and Russia finally signed a border treaty. Apparently, it’s also going to turn out to be the hottest 12 months ever, since records of that sort have been kept. No worry, though; certainly 2008 will be even hotter yet.

If history is in the business of repeating itself, then 2007’s doppleganger, I’m guessing, is probably 1927; instead of the 1927 Yankees, though, we get the 2007 New England Patriots; and instead of the final year of the Model T and the subsequent introduction of the Model A, we get the iPhone.

If I’m right about this (and there’s a first time for everything) then we’re just 24 months away from the next major economic depression; that wouldn’t surprise me either; instead of selling apples on streetcorners, though, will former businessmen be peddling iPhones?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home