Monday, December 10, 2007

Didn't Really Care

The Steelers got clobbered 31-13 by the Cheatriots up in Beantown yesterday; but I’m not really all that bothered by it. In spite of my bold pronouncement of a Black and Gold victory, I really didn’t expect Pittsburgh to win. What with Polalamu out and the offensive line still a bit banged-up, a victory seemed like a longshot, and so no big deal, anyway; the Steelers still lead their division and you can be sure they’ve learned a few things that will enable them to prevail when they come back to Foxboro for the AFC championship in January.

As evidence of my lackadaisical attitude about the contest, witness that I didn’t even listen to yesterday’s broadcast from Pittsburgh on the internet. Instead, I packed up Mimi and her friend, Ani, and took them downtown to Gameworks, where they could waste money on videogames and skee-ball while I could sit in the attached World Sports Grille and drink Guinness as the NFL Network-only broadcast of the big game spooled overhead on half a dozen flat-screen monitors.

It’s a pretty good set-up, custom made for my situation yesterday: Dad forks over the equivalent cost of a ticket to the live game so the kids can get plastic cards embedded with enough game credits to last at least until halftime, gives them a hug and tells them to go have fun; he then bellies up to the bar for the next ninety minutes or so, assured that the youngsters know where to find him when their game plays run out.

Sure enough, it works pretty much exactly as planned and fortunately, with another small infusion of cash, the videogaming can last all the way through the third quarter, at which time the game is all but out of reach and Dad is ready to call it a day.

So, I gather up my young charges and head home, no big deal; in January, though, the vacuum cleaner comes out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home