Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Gaiter Aid

Although from about November to May I sport the world’s coolest custom-made tweed helmet cover (pictured at right in my profile), and even though I am such a fan of spun sheep hair that my family refers to me as Woolman (I am Woolman/Hear me roar!), I nevertheless believe that there is no single item more important to my fall and winter wardrobe than the humble neck gaiter.

This simple cylinder, which covers the area from my clavicle notch in front, scapula in back, up to and including the circular area marked by my chin, and which keeps cold air from pouring in through my collar, does more to keep me warm than anything else I wear, even my much beloved Shaun Deller cycling cap.

I first began wearing neck gaiters in Minneapolis. There, in the chilly season, (when it wasn’t yet cold enough for a full face mask—that would be like early October), I often wore two fleece models: one would protect the area from the top of my jacket zipper to my lips; the other, I would pull up to keep my mouth and the tip of my nose from freezing. The fluffy polyester was good against the chill, but got kind of clammy when wet. Still, I went through probably a dozen, some store bought, some handmade Christmas gifts, rarely if ever, wearing them threadbare; rather, they would typically disappear at a party or night of conviviality with friends, making for a far colder ride home.

A couple years ago, here in Seattle, I graduated to Smartwool models; while they do eventually tend to stretch out a bit and to lose their sizing, the soft merino against your face, especially in the rain, is superior. I’ve occasionally attempted to stock up on a few, but inevitably, I lose all but one, demonstrating once again how difficult it is for me to keep track of things for which I don’t have a pressing need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home