Friday, August 15, 2008

Less is More

When I was spec’ing out the Tournesol, I originally went with 27 speeds.

It just seemed right somehow, and in keeping with the 327 theme; you know, three chainrings, nine speeds each, twenty-seven gears in all. Also, in my only-the-best design mode, I saw no point in saving a few bucks by going with a less fancy drive train, so Dura-Ace nine-speed it was.

Also, I wanted a wide-range cassette, and I was under the impression that to get the 11-32 range, nine it had to be.

So, for the several months I’ve had the bike, that’s what I’ve been running—and it’s fine and all, but with downtube friction shifters, it’s a bit finicky. When, for instance, I shift into a lower gear as I climb, I have to be very gentle on the shifter, holding it just so in order to make sure the chain rises to just the cog I’m looking for.

And sometimes, even when I get set with my choice, especially when I’m standing and mashing the pedals and rocking my bike side to side for leverage, I’ll get the dreaded auto-shift, my derailer dropping me down a cog, or even worse, sliding the chain between two so my cranks just spin freely.

The kicker was last week as I rode up from the University Bridge under I-5; my chain skipped off as I was standing and only dumb luck enabled me to avoid smashing my nuts on the top tube.

So last week I ordered an eight-speed cassette from 2020 (Sram, it turns out, makes an 11-32) and today I installed it, along with a new chain on the bike.

Much better.

Shifts just feel way more solid and forgiving; I did a test ride around the steepest hills in the neighborhood and didn’t mis-shift once.

I have one fewer gear, which I suppose, technologically, is a step down, but from a rideability standpoint, it’s a step up.

1 Comments:

Blogger MattyMattMatt said...

interesting. i have campy everything but a shamano cassette, (dont ask). I too love 11-32. when i replaced my old chain and cassette, i could not, for the love of dog, get the derailer to line up. Also, i have a bad problem with breaking chains. they don't much like 200+lb guys stomping on them. I took the bike to Rodcycles and they offered an unorthodox solution (main reason why i love those guys is their willingness to forgo normality and think outside the groupo. they suggested using a shram 8 speed cassette. I love it. Now, I have a beefier chain, and i have my gear spread. I just need to do two index clicks to get into low gear. I so don't miss that extra gear.

the gear heads at rodcycles were offering scuttlebutt about the next wave of 11 speeds and wondering how many more broken chains they are going to see.

If you ask me, I think bike technology can get a bit out of hand. bike thingy makers are, literally, reinventing the wheel when they don't have to. I do love my indexed brake shifters. i won't go back to bar ends or down tube shifters. too convenient.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home