Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hockey

Baseball: I got no one to root for anymore.

Maybe if the Mariners continue their free-fall, I can come to see them like the 1962 Mets—lovable losers, whose ineptitude is, all by itself, entertaining. I still feel a bit of affection for the Dodgers, but ever since the O’Malleys sold the team, it hasn’t been the same. I can still get behind the Pirates, but they’re bad enough that for them to finish .500 for the year would be considered a triumph. Honestly, I think I might be a San Francisco Giants fan this year given my affection for Tim Lincecum, but they’re going nowhere either, so basically I’ve already written off the rest of the season.

Basketball: Honestly, I could care less. Maybe if it turns out Lakers-Celtics in the finals, I’ll tune in, but oddly, I may find myself rooting for the Bostonians, hopeful that Garnett and Allen finally get their rings.

Football: too early still; that last thing I want to do is turn into one of those guys who gets all excited about draft day.

Soccer: Sure, once the European championship starts in June; especially if I’m afforded the chance to get up early in the morning to hit a bar and watch Holland play.

Golf: Um, no.

That leaves hockey and thankfully, the Pittsburgh Penguins are in the finals of the Stanley Cup. I’ve been halfway following their progress through the playoffs and have found myself getting into it. I’m loving the skills of the young Pens: Sidney Crosby especially.

I’m reminded when I was in 8th or 9th grade and used to have my mom drop me off at the Civic Arena to watch the then-new expansion team play; there would be maybe 4,000 people in the whole place and I could sneak right up the seats by the glass.

Now, I’m at my neighbors watching the game on CBUT; the view isn’t as good, but the team sure is better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home