Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Can't Figure It Out

For as long as I can remember (which isn’t always all that long), I’ve been intermittently getting this light clicking sound on the Saluki when the left crankarm hits about seven o’clock on my pedal stroke; it comes and goes over time and even sometimes during the course of a ride. I’ve tried everything to make it go away—replacing the bottom bracket, swapping out the crankset, taking off the pedals, dripping Phil Penetrating Oil into them and screwing each back on, putting on a new chain, removing and greasing the seatpost and handlebar stem, squeezing the spokes, tightening every nut and bolt I can find, checking the frame for cracks, pissing and moaning, swearing and throwing things, trying to ignore it—but all to no avail; it still keeps coming back.

Today I thought I had it figured out; it seemed like the metal tab that holds my rear pannier to the rack was rubbing against the metal tubing; I slid it slightly backwards and the ticking stopped; I congratulated myself on my mechanical aptitude and laughed inwardly at what a simple solution it turned out to be. For a few miles, no sound emanated from my ride; eureka!

Pretty soon, though, the ticking returned, and my hypothesis (and my self-esteem as a mechanic) was shattered once more; the noise came and went during the last few blocks, and once again, I brought the bike down into the basement, thinking maybe this time I could finally diagnose what’s going wrong.

A couple weeks ago, during a cold snap, I conjectured that the cause of the noise had something to do with the temperature; it seemed like the colder it was, the worse it got, but then it warmed up and didn’t go away.

So now, I’m completely confounded; I don’t know what causes the noise; I don’t know what makes it goes away; and I really don’t know how much longer I can stand it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you checked the ends of all the cables? The little loose bits that stick out?

10:45 PM  
Blogger Andrew Davidson said...

And does anyone else ever hear this "clicking" sound, Dave? Dave, are you sure?

11:11 PM  
Blogger Professor Dave said...

Not the cables, checked that; could be in my head for certain; it's sure driving me nuts!

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a long time I had a sort of creaking/ticking sound that I noticed only when going uphill. I figured that it had something to do with the cranks, since that's where all the effort was, right? But it turned out that it was the rails of my Brooks saddle creaking slightly in the seat post clamps. This was simulated as I sat on it (as I rode) and wiggled my hips around. Sure enough I could make it creak consistently. I tightened the clamps, greased surrounding stuff, and that mostly did the trick. Still creaks/ticks now and then but it doesn't annoy me now that I know what it is and that it won't cause my bike to fail suddenly. Not sure if this is the source of your sounds, but surely, sooner or later, you'll figure it out...

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home