Monday, October 29, 2007

A Revelation, Sort Of

One thing that scares me a lot whenever I stop to think of it is the reportedly high percentage of Americans who believe that the prophecies of the Book of Revelations are true and that in some short order, the faithful will be transported to heaven while the rest of us sinners suffer plagues and pestilence down here on earth.

While I find it hard to believe that the number is as astronomical as the 55% you sometimes hear, I do worry that apocalyptic fundamentalism may be behind some of the foreign policy decisions made by the current administration who, if indeed Bush and/or some of his advisors do hold such views, might be inclined to think the future doesn’t matter much anyway since God is going to sort things out in His own way soon enough.

As a godless secular humanist, I heartily reject any notion of biblical prophecies about the end of days and such and therefore, want to commit myself strongly to practices that increase the likelihood that human beings can sustain themselves for many generations hence.

And yet, in my own way, I too, harbor apocalyptic beliefs that, when you follow out their implications for personal and societal behavior, might not imply so very different choices than do those of the religious fanatics I deride.

After all, is my suspicion that human-induced global climate change will soon doom the human race all that different than the expectation that God will destroy us all before too long? And don’t both those beliefs incline a person to say, “Aw fuck it; may as well live it up now while we can, the future be damned?”

If I’m right about this (and there’s a first time for everything), then maybe I have hit on the perfect campaign strategy for our next President. Bring the bible-thumping evangelical and the Prius driving liberals together under a single Bible verse: “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb's Lunch said...

Much as I like the "aw fuckit" philosphy, the alternative that I think is the most comforting view is Bill Moyers, who argues that God actually put the true believers here to take care of His creation. Assuming that He's going to blow it all up soon anyways, so we may as well pollute it, is profoundly un-Christian, according to Bill.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Bill Moyers, now there is a Thought Leader. How about acting like animals and not crapping where we eat? How about acting in a thoughtful manner and not taking more than we need? Fundamentalism of any flavor - including self-labelled secularists - is dangerous and should be eradictated so I can get back to sleeping, eating, and propagating the species.

Flan

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home