Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Burke Gilman Trail

There are plenty of things I like about Seattle: those “seven hills” rising up out of several different bodies of water, the public library system, the general bike-ability of the place, the ready availability of good coffee and decent bread, the fact that so many people I love live here and, among many other things, the Burke Gilman trail, on which I commute most days of the week.

Tonight, I especially appreciated the trail as itenabled me to bike home in pastoral splendor while poor souls in cars lined up for miles in the snow that to them was a headache but to me, a lovely dusting on an already beautiful winter wonderland scene.

As I left Bothell, the snow was coming down pretty hard. About an inch had accumulated in the school’s driveway and cars were beginning their dosey-do dance entering and exiting the parking structure.

People were clumped up waiting for buses that were already twenty minutes late; I considered briefly joining them, but decided to give riding a shot.

The first mile or so was somewhat harrowing, as I had to navigate alongside cars on the snowy streets.

But as soon as I got onto the trail, all was fine. Occasionally, the snow had piled up a bit and going was slippery, but for the most part, the path was only wet or sometimes slushy.

I had the great joy of seeing traffic backed up for blocks upon blocks as I sped by parallel to the road.

It was so satisfying, that as a matter of fact, I even felt pity for the hapless drivers trapped in their cages while I breathed fresh, bracing air, free to catch snowflakes on my tongue and eyelashes all the way home.

My feet got a little cold and I had to stop at Starbucks to fill my thermos with hot water for de-icing my rear cogs, but riding on the Burke warmed my heart all the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home