Sunday, December 31, 2006

Remembering 2006

The papers today are filled with post-mortems on the year about to pass, so allow me to engage in the highest form of flattery as I imitate them and reminisce on my own last 365 days.

2006 kicked off (pun intended) happily as my beloved Steelers began the remarkable playoff run that would culminate in their finally winning “one for the thumb” in Superbowl XL. My joy, I must admit, was somewhat alloyed, as poor officiating tainted the victory and while seeing the boys in Black n’ Gold prevail was great, the win didn’t, as I secretly hoped, literally bring my mom and dad back from the dead.

In March, I traveled to Africa to chill with elders from indigenous tribes in Tanzania; the trip was mind-blowing on numerous levels, but above all, for the opportunity to do the hokey-pokey with hunter-gatherers under the vast African sky.

Late spring was marked by the demolition of the tumbledown backyard shed and the beginning of construction on the new studio, a project that still lives on, thanks to an IV drip of funds from our savings account.

Last summer was the first summer in years that I didn’t teach, allowing me to pursue such important tasks as refining my technique and beginning my noble or quixotic (you choose) attempt to blog 327 words a day for 327 days.

September’s high point was the 327 Words Patchkit Alleycat, the bike race I organized that was fun for everyone even though it didn’t, as I secretly had hoped, bring the stolen Rambouillet back to my garage.

The last few months have been remarkable for their unremarkableness—working, riding, sleeping. Perhaps we take this is a retrenchment of sorts as the world prepares for my coming half-century year.

Looking ahead, the “7” years usually bode well for me: birth, marriage, fatherhood, for instance. I have no great plans other than effecting world peace and solving the climate change crisis.

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home