Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas

The only thing I wanted that I didn’t get for Christmas was a Steelers victory over the hated Ravens yesterday, but at least now I can be a fulltime Seahawks fan for the rest of the season, even though, for Seattle, that’s not likely to be very far into January.

More importantly, Santa brought Mimi all her main requests, including the future landfill resident, Robosapien, who earned a full ten minutes of undivided attention before the girl moved on to a game of pickup sticks with her buddy, Ani.

As a family, we succumbed to the spirit of the season, and bought all sorts of things that are nice to have but are ultimately unnecessary and which will also likely end up at the dump.

Jen got a new cellphone, which we spent a good half hour futzing over in an unsuccessful search for a new ringtone; we did, eventually at least figure out how to make a call, although how to add a new number is still beyond us. Perhaps the Robosapien can do it for us.

My favorite gift was a new pressure cooker; our old one has been held together with bailing wire and paper clips; of late, I’ve refrained from using it for fear of exploding beans all over the ceiling. This new one is Swiss-made and promises to last until the days I’ll be using it to make myself strained spinach at the nursing home. With any luck, it won’t go into landfill until I do.

I’m embarrassed, of course, by the excess of it all; already our garbage can and recycling bin are filled, and collection isn’t for days, but I’m consoling myself to think that this is probably the last year that Santa is even peripherally in the picture. Next Christmas, we can perhaps appeal to environmental considerations that the big fat man in the red suit doesn’t have to worry about.

There’s no landfill at the North Pole, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home