Saturday, December 23, 2006

Biking With Kids

Took a good ride today with Mimi and her buddy, Ani—me on the Saluki, they on their little mountain bikes.

We pedaled from our house down Jackson Street to Uwajimaya, the big Asian supermarket. Traffic was relatively heavy, but fairly calm for the day before the day before Christmas.

I was nervous about their street-biking skills, but they both acquitted themselves really well, riding in single file and paying fairly close attention to where they were going and what they were doing. Only once did they practically take each other out while horsing around, but that was when we were almost back home and they were both flying on Bubble Tea.

Mimi said she just about got run over by a van in the International District; I didn’t see it, so I take that as a bit of braggadocio, but good on her for feeling confident enough to claim she escaped death by being aware and skillful on two wheels.

I led the way in our convoy; Ani took middle, and Mimi brought up the rear. At every busy intersection, I’d slow down so we were all together, but at other times, I let us get a bit stretched out, though not so far that I couldn’t keep an eye on them with an easy turn of my head.

Drivers were, for the most part, respectful of the kids; we got a number of smiles and waves, and only one cell phone driver blew through a stop sign ahead of us.

I have long thought a mark of a livable city is one where my daughter could safely ride her bike around; today, Seattle proved itself up to that standard.

When I was Mimi’s age, I occasionally rode from my house to the swimming club we belonged to, about six miles away.

Today’s right wasn’t quite so far, but I think it counts as the same degree of difficulty and accomplishment for these big little kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home