Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Second Chances

I sure am glad that Donald Trump didn’t strip reigning Miss USA, Tara Connor, of her crown for underage drinking, cocaine use, casual sex, and violating the terms of her housing agreement by bringing boys into her apartment at night.

She’s Miss USA, by Jove, and all those actions mark her as the genuine made in the US of A article. Bully for Tara!

In not dismissing her, Trump said that he’s always been a believer in second chances, and you know what? Me, too! In fact, I’ve always been a believer in third and fourth chances, as well.

Life is confusing and we all get confused. I know we’re supposed to learn from our mistakes, but sometimes, all I learn is how to repeat them.

When I was a kid, my parents were relatively easy-going about my many errors. They didn’t, for example, take away my driving privileges even after I ran the side of car into the side of the garage two nights in a row. (Of course, it was only a Ford Maverick, but still…)

As a parent, I’m probably far too forgiving. It never seems worth it to make a point on principle when as a practical matter it’s easier to move on.

Following the standard script in cases like this, Tara has checked into rehab; I just hope she doesn’t run into Ted Haggard or Mark Foley while she’s there, although presumably, a pretty girl like her would be an unlikely target for their advances.

I did bug me that both Trump and Tara implicitly blamed New York City for her peccadilloes. The Donald said that Miss USA just got caught up in the whirlwind of the Big Apple like so many young men and women before her and lost her head.

The old song says that if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere; seems to me, though, that Tara had been making it just fine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad didn't take away your driving priviledges, but he did pad the side of the garage with foam rubber - though I always thought that was for me & mom as much as you, and I'm not sure it really worked ... the side of the car still got smacked up.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home