Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Better Class

I did something in ethics class I usually don’t do: I told students what I think.

(Well, at least about this week’s issue: drug legalization).

I tried to make sure they understood what I was up to; not to get all preachy or make them think they had agree with me or fear for their grade. Rather, I tried to explain that because I was dissatisfied with class on Monday, I thought I would try a different approach.

Students appreciated that I copped to my failure last class; when I said that failure was because of me, not them, laughter rippled through the room.

I began by saying, “I think that the war on drugs is one of the most, if not THE most misguided of all our country’s policies and I’m going to explain why we ought to radically reform current federal and state drug laws.” Some students sat up and paid a bit more attention when I said this; I think most expected me to argue for a far more measured approach.

I then gave what I thought was a pretty clear 20 minute or so lecture, basing my case on four points: first, the standard argument that the primary social ills associated with drugs are a result of drug prohibition, not drug use, second, that paternalistic restrictions on people’s liberties are rarely justified, third, that the war on drugs represents and leads to unjustified infringement of people’s basic liberties (this is the one that appealed most to students), and fourth, that much of the case against drugs depends on misinformation and lies.

Students mostly listened, except for one who fell asleep with his head back and mouth hanging open. (He did come up to me after class, though, and apologize.)

Our discussion was more lively than Monday’s. I heard from two students who rarely say anything and a few pushed back pretty hard at my proposal.

Good for them and good for our class.

2 Comments:

Blogger zachary said...

Well done!

Bumper sticker: I hope terrorism surrenders soon like drugs did.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Curugroth said...

I am with you on legalization, especially marijuana. This would make it easier for us to buy from local farmers. The teaching method seems sound too. But do you really have to believe what you say to use it? Couldn't you just pretend to advocate a position and get a similar response? Anyway, I'm glad you had a good class. What about prostitution?

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home