Sunday, July 16, 2006

Overheard

One of the things I like about wandering around a big city like San Francisco is hearing (eavesdropping on) snatches of conversations as I walk by people on the street or lean closer to their tables at restaurants. Back when I was doing stand-up comedy, I had an idea for a routine that would piece together these snatches into a hilarious bit. As with many such ideas, it never came to fruition. However, in the spirit of that idea, here are a few snatches I’ve picked up over the last few days and in the coffeeshop where I’m now sitting:

“He doesn’t want to talk about it, he wants to go to philosophy park.”

“Time is passing by in waves.”

“It’s kinda fun if you don’t get any of the leftovers on you.”

“Do you guys always play this hard?”

“Everytime I eat there, I have to get a second opinion.”

“It’s such a great conviction, you have to let it go.”

“The guy who actually did it works with the underground now.”

“That’s going the way of marketing.”

It’s a mystery to me as to what most of these conversations are about, and they certainly sound more compelling in the moments that I hear them.

But this is yet another data point in the evidence I continue to collect showing that most people live more interesting lives than me. On the other hand, I’m not even sure how interesting of a life I want. Most of the time, I’m satisfied when I get to do the same thing pretty much over and over every day.

I’m completely a creature of habit; it even bugs me when I don’t get to practice in the same spot every day in yoga class.

If I was walking down the street talking to about this to someone, here’s the the snatch of conversation you’d hear:

“I only want to be surprised when I’m not going to be surprised about it.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home