Sunday, May 10, 2009

In For A Penny

About three months ago, I received news that Sharath Rangaswamy, grandson of my primary yoga guru, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, and probably the world’s most advanced practitioner of the Ashtanga form, was coming to San Francisco to conduct a series of “led” classes, a style in which the teacher announces the movements and breaths while students follow along.

I was so excited about the opportunity to study with Sharath, even for a couple of days, that I immediately bought tickets for the entire family to travel to the Bay Area, leaving Thursday night, returning Sunday, my enthusiasm due not only to the prospect of taking part in the usual sort of Grateful Dead concert meeting of the tribes atmosphere that characterizes the arrival a renowned instructor all the way from India, but also because the non-refundable tickets were so cheap—only 59 bucks a piece one way, meaning the total cost would be just over three hundred dollars, a price that I have, in the past, and on short notice, paid for a single round-trip ticket to the City by the Bay.

Unfortunately, I found out two months ago that I had to attend a workshop at school on Friday, which meant I couldn’t leave until Saturday morning, so, I spent another sixty bucks on a Saturday morning departure for me, with the idea I’d meet Jen and Mimi, who’d have come as originally planned.

Then, about a month ago, we learned that Mimi had a big standardized test to take on Friday, which precluded the girls from coming at all, unless we wanted to fork over another hundred twenty dollars to buy new tickets for them, which we didn’t.

Finally, last week, I got an email telling me that Sharath had to return unexpectedly to India and the classes were cancelled.

I flew down yesterday morning anyway, and have had a thirty-six hour visit with old friends, well worth, I guess, that $350 combined roundtrip fare.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

And then, god knows what you spent on food and drink while here. Thanks so much for making the trip, despite all the setbacks. It was wonderful time spent together.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home