Sunday, October 05, 2008

Relief

Like lot of people, I’ve had a bad month or two financially, and things aren’t really looking up anytime soon. Additionally, I keep getting older and achey-er—a trend which will only accelerate as time goes on. Plus, I’m worried about the upcoming election and am nervous that even if the American people overall get it right and elect Obama, there’s still a really good chance that my fellow citizens in the state of Washington will screw up and choose the pro-life/anti-education governor, Dino Rossi over the adequate-but-not-great Christine Gregoire.

But even with all that, I’m in a good mood today and it has nothing to do with the fact that the so-called “Cubbies” got swept out of the National League playoffs in three games by the Dodgers, although that’s a nice bonus.

No, the reason I feel pleased today is nearly entirely a result of how well my loveliest bicycle, the Tournesol, is riding after a quick fix by Colin over at 2020 following my own abortive attempts to get it working the way it’s supposed to.

Starting a couple weeks ago, I started feeling a little “notchy” sensation when my non drive-side crank was at about 1:00. At first, I thought maybe the crankarm was loose, but that proved not to be the case.

Next, I swapped out the pedals, but that didn’t work either.

At this point, I figured it had to be the bottom bracket, so I pulled off the cranks and spun the spindle slowly round and round; still, I felt nothing.

Stumped, I took the bike over to 2020, where Colin took it for a test ride and surmised that the bottom bracket itself was loose. A quick tightening of the drive-side retaining cup and voila! No more notchiness.

Riding around today was pure joy, especially after I’d all but resolved to live with the annoyance.

Who cares if I’m broke, old, and disenfranchised; my bike rides like a dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home