Thursday, September 04, 2008

Wake Me Up When It's Over

I’m weak; I admit it.

I’m not the kind of guy who enjoys rubbernecking car crashes, or staring at train wrecks, or who takes a great deal of pleasure in the misfortunes of others.

I never can put up with watching Cops, for example.

So I don’t think I’m going to be able to stomach the next few months as the campaign for U.S. President gets uglier, with each side’s attack dogs—one, for the Democratic party, something of a pit bull, the other, for the Republicans, like a angry little Pomeranian—go at it, while the media gleefully whip us all into a frothing frenzy like the crowd on the playground in fifth grade when two kids started to fight and we all stood around in a circle, chanting “ooh-ooh-ooh, fight, fight fight!”

Enough, already.

I keep wanting to have faith in my fellow citizens that the American people won’t be snowed this time around by appeals to fear and pity, buttressed by snarky asides, all made possible by the deep-seeded racism lurking in the background, but every time I tune into to the RNC or listen to right-leaning commentators, or for that matter, simply surf to Yahoo.com as a starting place for web searches, I lose my will—and practically my lunch, too.

You know that Who song: Won’t Get Fooled Again? Me, too, I get down on my knees and pray we won’t again, but I’m really afraid we will.

Rock beats scissors, paper beats rock, scissors beat paper, fear beats hope.

My inclination, therefore, is to bury my head under the pillow and not to look up until November 5th. At that point then, I can decide whether to move my family to where? Canada? New Zealand? Mars? Or plant a winter garden and stay put.

Of course, we won’t really move, we’ll just become more disenfranchised and disillusioned.

In the meantime, much as it hurts, I’ll try to keep my eyes at least half-open.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb's Lunch said...

Eyes at least half-open is probably right - after posting a few days back about how Palin seemed like poor judgment on McCain's part, ahh blissful ignorance - I am now convinced she is fucking scarey, and probably a really good pick from the scheming republican point of view. She's saying things that the mean-spirited weasels (or, more politely?, the regular schmoes with that "I got mine, fuck you, Jack", attitude) love - cheap gas, low taxes, win the war, God and country. And anything us democrats and liberals reply sounds even meaner. Questions about how pro-family is she really?, with 5 kids, not to mention that one is Downs-syndrome and one a pregnant teenager, and off to run for V.P., are sexist. And isn't it just a tad hypocritical Palin's saying, "when McCain & I are elected, every family with a special needs child will have a friend in the White House", when out the other side of their mouths, they are criticizing Democrats' spending tax dollars on social programs.

I wanna bury my head, too, really, I do, but I am afraid that makes me a McCain/Palin supporter.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home