Sunday, April 01, 2007

O Lucky Man

If there is any luckier guy in the world than me, I’d like to know him—and have him buy me a lottery ticket, too.

In the meantime, though, I'll continue to bask in my own good fortune and revel in the spectacularly auspicious life I lead as brought home to me with absolute clarity by the preternaturally fine time I had surrounded by friends and family in celebration of my 50th birthday last night.

Such a grand commemoration of all that is Dave, that were I not me, I’d have gotten totally sick of myself and even being him. I had pretty much all I could take of the guy.

There was drinking, dancing, and general revelry to an almost embarrassing degree (fortunately, the drinking did much to head off any actual embarrassment), and on at least three occasions, I was totally smothered in love bombs from my loved ones.

And how’s this for the full realization of all my megalomaniacal fantasies? Guests were given tickets to spend on 50 seconds of doing anything they wanted with (or to) me; I originally conceived of it as a sexy challenge: Can You Spend Fifty Seconds Alone in the Dark with the Fifty Year-Old? (And spent weeks trying to sell Jen on the idea.)

But in practice, it was sweeter than that; oh, sure, I got my share of sweaty hugs and good-natured party groping, but even better, I got to spend handfuls of minutes connecting as authentically as I could with all these people in my life who I have the great good fortune to have in my life.

It’s a good thing I only turn fifty once; I’m not sure my heart (or for that matter, liver) could take this again.

I’m inspired, though, to keep feeling this feeling of gratitude about my life, and to remember what wonderful friends and family I have.

Of course, I’ll be lucky to hold on to it through Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home