Saturday, March 31, 2007

So Far, So Good

Today is nuts. I’m trying to do way too much.

But it’s okay.

The Three Twenty-Seven Words Half-Century Ralleycat went off as planned. About 25 people started and most of them finished the essentially 50 mile ride in three hours and twenty seven minutes.

Winner solo rider was Greg S. Barnes, pulling his child in a trailer. He made 16 out of 17 checkpoints and even finished with a few minutes to spare, having come out to the safety meeting at Matthews Beach halfway through the race.

Winning team of two was Mike O.D. and spouse, marathon runner, Dianne. They rocked all the stops but one and finished reasonably within the time limit.

Winning team of three or more was a group of three guys from Fast Friday, Justin, John, and Lee who, even though they got way lost on the way managed to find their way to the ending point in just enough time to end up in the money.

No girl finished all by herself, to an extra prize went to second place solo finisher Chris Langston.

What I liked best, or at least a lot about the event was that a bunch of people I’d never met showed up. Katy Rourke, who saw a flyer for the race at 20/20 Cycle brought out a handful of buddies who stuck with the thing the whole time.

I was pretty satisfied with the route, although I erred mightily on the manifest in a few places, mis-naming both stops and locations. Bless the hearts of the riders who persevered in spite of my mistakes.

My lesson from all this was graciousness; too often, I’m upset if it’s not all perfect; today wasn’t exactly in every way as I imagined in might have been: we only had half of half a hundred instead of the full 50; my directions were flawed, and so on.

But I’m pleased with the results anyway; with age comes patience, if not wisdom.

1 Comments:

Blogger Craziek8 said...

hellmuthafuckingyeah. The Ralleycat was a blast. thanks for digging us strangers, we appreciated being a part of the festivities. we all agreed that you make 50 look like fun.

hope to see you out riding sometime!

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home