Friday, April 27, 2007

Blog Dreams

Maybe I should give up my project to go 327 days in a row blogging a 327 word essay; it’s starting to worm its way into my subconscious, as evidenced by the blogger anxiety dreams I’ve been having of late—two out of the last three nights, to be exact.

Tuesday night I had a variation on the common teacher’s nightmare of being utterly unprepared for class. Instead of showing up in front of my students without any notes and/or clothes, in this version I had a number of handwritten (read “illegible”) pages of writing that I suddenly realized I was supposed to have transcribed and posted but had failed to. So, like the scary dream case where I come to see I’ve completely forgotten about my responsibility to educate my students, there I was, failing miserably in my project to illuminate the world through the incandescence of my prose.

Last night, I dreamed that I had written something that was so outlandish, embarrassing, and insulting that I couldn’t believe I had done it. Now, it wouldn’t have been the first time I’d found myself in that position, but what made the dream so creepy was that I had no recollection of having written it in the first place. (Again, not a unique scenario, but the combination of the two was particularly chilling.)

My most common anxiety dream involves missing travel connections. I’m on a bus going the wrong direction from where I want to be with no idea how to get off and headed back on track; or, I’m trying to catch a plane that’s leaving in just a few minutes when I’m hours away from the airport; perhaps the blog equivalent would be something like I’ve got a mere 327 words to spend with pages and pages of stuff to say or maybe the converse: nothing to say and over 300 ahead of me.

But maybe those aren’t MY nightmares, just those who read this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home