Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Good Day

I am an experience junkie; I reckon a good day as one on which I get to generate a bunch of different memories.

I might even trade quality for quantity; I’m probably most satisfied when many separate moments pass before me.

But maybe that means I’m just noticing more things. Although if that’s the case, why don’t I remark at that many everyday?

Nevertheless, today featured a number of typical, yet clearly identifiable occasions.

I awoke early and made it to AYS no later than I had intended. This series of events included a bike ride on frosty pavement; there I got to notice an unusual squishy sound emanating from my tires on the road.

I remarked at what a privilege it is to do yoga; I am honored and humbled to work on the second series of Ashtanga.

Thursday’s bus ride to school is generally my favorite; I’m able to read the Stranger, a regularly-occurring experience that is oddly comforting.

In the Philosophical Ethics class, I had the opportunity to introduce Utilitarianism via one of my favorite classroom activities. With students, we work through a Benthamite calculus of whether or not to hold class. It’s usually fun and, I think, educational; today was a stellar example of the form.

In the Business Ethics class, we watched The Smartest Guys in the Roomthe recent documentary about the Enron debacle. I just kept wondering how a person ends up making the kinds of choices those executives did and trying to see (thankfully, so far unsuccessfully) real analogues in my own life.

Later, it was my good fortune to facilitate a Faculty Assembly meeting. I must say, we are in fine form, feeling our oats.

I rode downtown on the Quickbeam, stopping for a solo safety meeting at Matthews Beach.

.83 meet-up at Westlake Center, a ride to the bridge to nowhere, then to see a reading by alterna-dad Neal Pollack and music by "Awesome."

Quantity and quality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home