Monday, December 04, 2006

Little Words

It all depends on what you mean by the word “and.”

If the project is to write and post a 327 word essay everyday for 327 days where “and” means simultaneously, then it’s over; but if it means that writing one very day and posting it eventually, then all systems remain go.

Obviously, my interpretation is the latter; I’m not ready to call it quits yet…(well, perhaps I am, but I’m not going to.)

The last couple of days, I’ve been away from the I-web; in Point Arena, we could see a wireless network, but weren’t able to connect. So, I wrote a piece a day, but couldn’t post it.

(I suppose I could have had I been willing to drive into town and pay a connection fee; that seemed like way too much work though; and given the opportunity to spend time with loved ones, play on the beach, and imbibe various mind-altering substances, I took it as more than sufficient to simply generate the words, if not share them with the world.)

This sort of semi self-serving spin on things is typical of how I approach the world. I’m all for following the spirit of the law, but if I need to, then merely keeping with the letter is fine, instead.

Reading the “eight items or less,” sign for the express line at the supermarket, for instance, I’ve been known to take that to mean eight different items, so that if I’ve got two cartons of ice cream and seven other things, I’m still golden.

Likewise, a “Don’t Walk” signal usually allows a person to either ride his bike through the intersection or run if necessary.

I don’t think this makes me a bad person, but then again, it all depends on what you mean by the word “bad.”

If “integrity” is defined as “keeping the small promises you make to yourself,” then can I still maintain mine by crossing my fingers behind my back?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home