Sunday, October 16, 2005

Why Do I Even Care?

So, the Steelers, thanks to inept play of “quarterback” Tommy Fuckenmaddox lose in overtime today to the Jacksonville Jaguars, and I’m pissed! I invest three hours of my life in this stupid game and it comes out all wrong. I’m yelling at the TV and I want to throw the fucken remote across the room.

Why the hell, though, do I even care? The Steelers’ loss is no reflection on my character (other than, perhaps whatever flaw it is in my character that makes me care about them). Whether they win or not has nothing to do with the things I really care about in life. My family will love me even if the Steelers go 0 and 16. The world will not be a safer, more peaceful place even if they win the Superbowl. So what’s up with my fanaticism?

Certainly, it’s wrapped up in my experiences of the Steelers in my childhood. My affection for the team is tied to memories of going to games with my dad and to seeing them play on TV with my mom. I don’t think, though, that I can completely chalk up my feelings for the Steelers to my upbringing. And even if I could, that would only be an explanation, not a justification.

Would I be a better person if I stopped caring about the Steelers at all? No doubt, I could have spent the time I wasted watching today’s game in more elevated pursuits. Even cleaning the bathroom would have been a start.

Would I be a better husband and father if I didn’t ever sit in front of the TV cheering for and screaming at a bunch of overpaid, steroid-infused athlete-entertainers in stretch pajamas bashing each other around? Probably so; at least I would have helped Jen with the breakfast dishes.

So, am I inclined to give up being a Steelers football fan? Probably not, but if they keep playing like today, I may have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home