Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Results

I’m sitting here cross-legged on the couch scanning the internetz for election results. Maybe it won’t make much difference in my life that Christine O’Donnell didn’t win in Delaware (whew!) or that Rand Paul has apparently prevailed in Kentucky (ugh!) but I’m nevertheless fascinated to see how this all comes out.

I’m pulling hard for Senator Patty Murray to get re-elected in the great state of Washington; in fact, I would even have traded last night’s victory by Tim Lincecum and the San Francisco Giants in the World Series for her to finish ahead of the scary Dino Rossi; unlike that game, though, I fully expect this race to go into extra innings: it seems more than likely there will be a close vote and a recount we’ll be hearing about for weeks if not months to come. But who knows?

Mainly, though, I’m on the edge of my seat (not literally; in fact, I’m leaning back) about several ballot initiatives before the voters here in the Evergreen state. The most important one would create an income tax on people making over a quarter of a million dollars a year; it’s supported, perhaps surprisingly, by Bill Gates, Senior, and opposed, predictably, by Amazon founder and billionaire, Jeff Bezos, as well as by plutocrat Paul Allen, who apparently isn’t fucking rich enough, either.

Whatever happens, it will be a relief to no longer have my sporting events polluted with political ads; the main thing I’ve observed is how desperately they try to get folks to vote against their own best interests. For example, we’ve got this incredibly misguided initiative on tap that would require a 2/3rds majority vote in the legislature for any tax increases. This is being spun as a way for the average citizen to “hold politicians accountable,” when, in fact, it’s a strategy for whackos to hold state government hostage.

Hopefully, things will turn out okay; if not, at least let California Prop 19 pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home