Sunday, September 26, 2010

Unbelievable

The classic version of the story is where the woman loses her wedding ring while swimming in the ocean and then, years later, her husband goes deep-sea fishing and hauls in a tuna; they cut the animal open and there, believe it or not, is the long-lost jewelry. I sort of doubt that such a thing has actually happened, but it makes for a heartwarming story, in any case.

My real-life example almost as far-fetched, and hardly any less of a tear-jerker; it goes something like this:

About twenty years ago, during the ski season, Jen and I met my parents at Lake Tahoe, where my dad was giving a talk at some medical conference. While the good doctor was off conferring with his colleagues, everybody else took to the slopes. At this point in his life, the old man was no longer skiing himself, but he generously brought some old gear, so the profligate son would have something to wear. The prime item was a bright yellow White Stag brand wind shirt, perfect for warm afternoons on the treeless runs at Heavenly Valley, where we were spending the day.

I know it kind of broke his heart to loan it to me, in part because I’m sure it reminded him of the good times skiing he could no longer, due to health issues, enjoy.

Long story short: I got stoned and lost the thing and my dad, bless his heart, only shook his head and looked disappointed.

Flash forward to about a month ago: Jen and I are in Pretty Parlor, a vintage clothes storehere in Seattle. And there, I kid you not, is the shirt; I know it’s the same one because it even has a little burn hole in the front pocket from where I accidentally left the half-smoked, still lit, joint.

Needless to say, I bought it, wear it proudly, and look forward to the day I can loan it to Mimi to lose.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb's Lunch said...

That is totally great. Do you think Mollie Shapiro's wedding band, that Dad gave to me, and I lost in the back of a taxi, will ever come back to me?

8:51 AM  
Blogger mork the delayer said...

Good job marking the shirt for future recognition.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home