Saturday, September 11, 2010

Clothes

The part I fear most about starting up school next week is having to get dressed everyday.

Not that I’ve spent the summer lounging around in my skivvies or anything, it’s just that for the last ninety days or so, I’ve been able to wear pretty much whatever I want without having to worry about whether these are the same jeans I’ve sported every day for a week or if my neck is too old and wrinkled not to cover up with a collared shirt.

And there’s also that difficult matter of what to wear on one’s feet: in the summer, I can pull on a pair of Smartwool cycling socks, jam them into my crustiest old Chuck Taylors and I’m set. Once I have to be a responsible member of a classroom and college community, it’s not so easy—sometimes I even have to put on shoes made out of leather!

It’s not that I don’t care how I look; I’m no less vain than any 13 year-old girl spending hours in front of the mirror trying to get her shirt to wrinkle just right; it’s simply a matter of finding the thing that works and sticking with it and if I felt comfortable and more or less presentable in those Levis and my Dead Baby Downhill XIII t-shirt yesterday, why not put them on again today—and tomorrow and the next day if they’re not too gross?

Einstein allegedly (and probably apocryphally) had five versions of the identical suit so he never had to think about to wear; Ludwig Wittgenstein (apparently actually) wore essentially the same outfit day after day, so perhaps I’m in reasonably good company when it comes to my sartorial preferences. Unlike either of those two, though, I can’t blame my wardrobe shortcomings on being one of the greatest minds of all time.

They get to be absent-minded geniuses in rumpled suits; me, I’m just a lazy slob in a dirty tee.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb's Lunch said...

Yep, supposedly Jerry Garcia's closet contained multiple copies of the same fruit of the loom black pocket tee, and corduroy or denim pants to go with - it's the genius loophole, right? If you are particularly gifted in one area, you're not supposed to have to worry about clothes.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home