Monday, August 24, 2009

Family Cycling

I’ve got it made, I really do: good health (although I was just choking on my coffee), a nice house, a great job that gives me three months off in the summer, and a loving family (except in the morning when I’m trying to get the kid off to school or in the very late evening, when I’m fumbling around the kitchen after a long night’s bike ride), and never is that made more obvious to me than when I get the opportunity to ride bikes with my loved ones, something that happened not just once but twice this past weekend, both times when we rode to Capitol Hill’s Teletubby Park (it’s really called Cal Anderson) to watch outdoor movies, first, on Friday, the comedy classic 9 to 5, second, on Sunday, a bunch of shorts put together by Dead Baby Terry, which almost, if I’d have had it more together, would have featured the animated bike version of the Tortoise and the Hare that Mimi and I put together for Filmed by Bike back in April.

I like the cinematic entertainment better on Friday, but the scene on Sunday was way more fun, with Alex and crew from 2020 Cycle there with the bike blender which I helped stock with ice, limeade, and tequila; the amusing irony being that they were selling cookies for $2.00 a piece, but giving away drinks for free—and if that’s not a model for the way things should be all the time, I don’t know what is.

Mimi and I rode the tandem the first time, but since I was hauling the trailer last night she took her own bike, which was a tad bittersweet I have to admit; it’s only a matter of time before her interest in being my stoker wanes and I’ll have to wait until she visits with her own family (fat chance, there!) before I’ll get the opportunity to captain the tandem with her again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home