Sunday, June 28, 2009

Recreation

Yesterday, I did pretty much nothing to make the world a better place.

Oh, sure, I showed up at the Equality Yoga event at 9:00, expecting it would be a regular class that was over by 10:30, only to discover it wasn’t even starting until after 10:00 and that consequently, I’d only have time to participate in something like 10 minutes of practice before leaving for softball, but other than that tiny nod in support of a more just and equitable world for all, all I really did from the time I rose to the time I retired was just play around.

I did manage to feed the dogs, so I guess that counts for something, but as far as advancing the cause of humanity or even reading a little philosophy, I failed miserably.

The question is: how much should I care about this? To what degree, in other words, am I required to justify my existence through efforts that go beyond my own enjoyment? It’s summer vacation, after all; I worked reasonably hard all through the school year; is that enough, then, and can I just be a complete slacker for the next two months or so?

Part of the problem is that it’s not exactly clear what would constitute my making a positive difference in any case. I know I should probably type up lesson plans for philosophy for children classes, but beyond that, maybe the best I can do is just be kind to friends and family and refrain from snottiness and condescension to strangers.

Once again, the key to self-satisfaction appears to be setting the bar low.

Plus, I did have a pretty good time for most of the day; the Chuggers and Sluggers softball team scored an impressive come-from-behind victory in the second game of our doubleheader and Jen, Mimi, and I rode bikes to Georgetown for the Artopia event.

I did little for the world; it did much for me, though

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb's Lunch said...

Dog[s]?

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home