Thursday, July 31, 2008

Made it (Barely)

During spring quarter, I was riding my bike to school both ways most days. Even at about 18 miles a pop, it was no big deal. Granted, it took time, and occasionally, I felt like the morning slog in was endless, but essentially, the commute just became what I did, a regular part of my day and nothing particularly to get worked up or tired out over.

Today, for the first time in more than a month, I did the route, heading out there to turn in an overdue library book I had left in my office. And ZOMG, as they say, I’m beat. It was all I could do to mash up the final hill to my house and all I want to do for the rest of the day is sit on the couch and nap.

Now, admittedly, today’s trip, unlike a typical school day, was nearly continuous. All I did was pop into my office, grab the book, and go, but still…

This is what happens, I guess, when you’re 51 years old and you spend three weeks overindulging in food and drink while the most exercise you get is climbing stairs to an apartment where you’re doing to have another big meal; the bodily decay time gets faster and faster, apparently.

The good news, though, (if any), is that it provides me with a bit of incentive to keep riding and doing yoga and whatever other habits I have that may be moderately salubrious. At least, it reminds me to be afraid to stop doing these things for fear that if I do, I’ll never be able to start again.

This morning, I was hoping it was the new moon day (nope, it’s tomorrow), so I could justify lazing in bed rather than getting up and doing the Ashtanga series. Eventually, I tricked myself into practice by pretending I’d only do one sun saluation. Then, another. And another. Until I'd made it. (Barely.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home