Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Zoom Zoom

This quarter, I teach at 8:45 in the morning on Mondays and Wednesdays, which is no big deal except that it takes an hour from the bus stop to school, which isn’t a problem other than that I need to budget fifteen minutes from the time I’m on my bike to when I arrive at the corner of Third and Jackson, which itself is no worry except that I want to make sure I have half an hour to make coffee, eat breakfast, scan the newspaper, and get my rain gear on if needed, which is easy enough to do as long as I get thirty minutes or so to shave, shower, and dress, which I can handle just fine insofar as I have an hour to do a half primary Ashtanga series including finishing poses and a short Savasana, which is reasonably do-able just in case I’ve had twenty minutes to wake up, do my stomach exercises, and take care of my morning constitutional.

So, these days, I set my alarm clock for 5:11 AM, am downstairs and out of the bathroom by 5:30, have completed my yoga practice by 6:30, am into and out of the shower and have shaved by 6:45; coffee’s made and drunk by 7:00; I’m geared-up and on my bike by no later than 7:10; and have raced down Jackson and am waiting for the 522 Express to pull up at its scheduled arrival time of 7:27, if all goes like clockwork—as it all had better, or I’m basically fucked for showing up in class on time.

I don’t mind the early rising all that much; it’s the tic-tic-tic aspect of the morning that gets to me; there’s never a moment from the moment I rise that I’m not aware of the moment.

I don’t think people are supposed to live like this: if I want to stop and smell the roses, I have to start a stopwatch to do so.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you considered growing a beard and not washing your hair everyday? that'll trim the shower time considerably :)

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.. . . yeah, i agree - not natural! :) have you had many 9-5 jobs in your life? i haven't and the few times that i have it's felt like murder in the mornings . . . but maybe it's murder for most folks and they don't talk about it :)

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home