Friday, September 28, 2007

Watch What's Left!

Even though latest horrific fatal bicycle accident in Seattle was caused by a right-turning motor vehicle, I still think it’s the left-turners that represent that gravest danger to those of us on two wheels.

Twice in the past two days, I’ve almost been creamed going through an intersection by drivers who are in way too much of a fucking hurry to look where they are going as they shoot left across my lane, almost broadsiding me.

The first time was last evening as I came down Jackson Street just past 23rd; a guy racing to left turn ahead of traffic coming through the light forced me to slam on my brakes to let him pass ahead of me with only the slightest hesitation on his part when he finally saw me coming and instantly concluded that I would pull up and let him by.

And then today, on Dexter as I crossed Denny after waiting for an ambulance to pass; a lady who was determined to not wait an instant longer came inches from plowing into me in her haste to make the light the emergency vehicle almost made her miss.

In both these cases, I was in a hurry; and so to the extent that anytime a car hits a bike the cyclist is guilty of not assuming every car on the road is out to get him or her, (even when, as I did in both cases, he or she has the right of way), I’m responsible, but still…

I think a helpful mnemonic for cyclists and drivers should be: Watch What’s Left!

Those of us riding on two wheels can be reminded to watch carefully for drivers turning left and those driving on four can be cautioned to make sure, as they turn left, that there is nothing (especially on two wheels) they have overlooked.

If the Watch What’s Left! suggestion had been followed last year, this girl, Susanne Scaringi, might still be riding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home