Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Hopeless

I sometimes think that the human race might not be doomed; for some reason, I discover a bit of faith in our ability to stop ourselves from destroying each other with a toxic stew of plastics, petroleum, and poo; but then I go shopping at the supermarket, with its vast array of monoculture-farmed products shipped in via cheap oil and it all seems utterly naïve to maintain a positive attitude and completely hopeless in the short and not-so long-term.

Our insatiable appetites will certainly destroy all that sustains us; and it must be only a matter of time (and not that much, really) before all of all of human society implodes and homo sapiens bids a not particularly fond adieu to planet earth.

I guess there’s something to be said for being one of the last human generations; no doubt it will be interesting to be here as it all comes crashing down; and I suspect many people (maybe even me) may harbor a secret wish that the end of the human world will arrive on their watch.

Think of all the debt we can safely accrue of the apocalypse is really nigh; think of all the bikes I can buy (on credit) if I won’t have to end up paying for them in the end. No sense in saving for the future if it isn’t going to arrive.

The Mayans, I’m told, set the date for the end of human time for something like May 22, 2012; that’s less than half a decade away! If there are only five years left for us, it’s high time to start really living it up. No more Nashbar brand tires for me, that’s for sure; I’m only buying the premium brands from now on.

If I’ve got less than five years to buy bicycle gear, I’d better get my order in for a Vanilla right way; I think the wait for a Sasha White is already like forty-eight months.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done. I admire your ability to turn the apocalypse into a justification for better bikes. And I bet it does seem like it will be the end of time before they get a bike for people waiting in the Vanilla queue.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Deb's Lunch said...

I thought it was December 21, 2012 - but either way, only about 5 years - I figured it was an excuse to squander the inheritance we got from frugal father and generous mother - and spending it on bikes IS a good idea! - but even my pessimistic son John says, "no, mom."

Dave's big sister

7:20 AM  
Blogger jackalope said...

Hey Dave,
I didn't know you were a doomer! That's part of the reason I took that temporary turn in my career path. Visit: www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net for more doomer fun!

Brian

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home