Saturday, May 12, 2007

Astrologer

We had our family astrologer, Katie Kay, interpret our charts today. This is something we’ve done a couple times before and even though I don’t really believe in astrology, I’ve found her readings, (and today was no exception), to be useful in the cause of self-understanding and domestic harmony.

Many people would look quite askance at this exercise; astrology is, of course, the paradigmatic pseudoscience and astrologers themselves notorious charlatans or at least, self-deluded nutjobs.

I used to hold Nancy Reagan in great contempt for consulting an astrologer (well, not JUST for that; her frozen smile in awestruck devotion to Ronnie was a big part of it, too), and here I am doing just the same thing. (Although, in my defense, at least I’m not basing national policy decisions on the positions of the planets at the present time.)

Katie is incredibly ecumenical in her attitude about non-standard ways of knowing. Astrology? No problem. Tarot? Sure. Angels? Well, if believing in angels makes your life better, then why not?

I, myself, am not able to adopt such an open-minded (some might say uncritical) perspective on what’s so. It bugs me to believe in something for purely pragmatic reasons whether it’s really the case or not.

So, for instance, while it would do worlds of good for my self-esteem to be convinced that thousands of people are reading my blog on a daily basis and taking great comfort and insight from it, I would prefer to not delude myself into thinking that without a good deal more objective proof.

That said, I’m perfectly satisfied to remain in the dark about things; I haven’t, for example, put a counter on my site; as long as I don’t have to know the truth, should I?

I’m sure that this head-in-the-sand attitude has an explanation; I’d imagine it has something to do with my upbringing.

Katie might say it’s my Mars in Gemini; if it works to believe that, why not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home