Sunday, January 21, 2007

24 Hour Bike Ride

A guy from .83, Chris Langston, organized a 24-hour bike ride yesterday commemorating his 27th birthday. Those who committed to the whole thing started at 9:00 in the morning, did a massive 84 checkpoint alleycat, and then spent the nighttime hours spinning on trainers at a warehouse space downtown.

I showed up there about 9:00 at night and hung around drinking beer, taking short rides around the waterfront, and marveling at the stamina of those who were participating in the full event.

At one point, a group of us went on a mission to liberate construction tape and orange roadwork cones in order to set up a phony “velvet rope” outside the warehouse space. It was fun engaging in a bit of rather harmless petty vandalism, especially trying to ride my bike down the street, slightly inebriated, carrying a plastic cone lifted from a new building site.

I also rode around the new sculpture garden a few times; it looks very impressive and I’ll be it will be really fun to ride through at night after the newness wears off and security gets a bit more lax.

Most of the 24-hour riders looked pretty spent; a whole day is a hell of a long time to be in the saddle; I think the longest I’ve ever ridden non-stop is about fourteen hours and by the end, I was useless. On the other hand, I was touring with around 30 pounds of gear and didn’t get the requisite ten-minute breaks very hour. On the other other hand, though, I wasn’t drinking beer and partying the whole time, either, so perhaps it all comes out as a wash in the end.

I did get a few ideas for what I might do on my own birthday ride should I hold it; I’m thinking a series of loops from home of varying lengths. We won’t do 24 hours straight, but if can aim for 3.27 hours that would be ideal.

2 Comments:

Blogger Larry Livermore said...

Judging from your comments a few days ago, you'd cast a dubious eye at something claimed to be "rather unique." Wouldn't the same principle apply to "rather harmless?"

5:19 AM  
Blogger Professor Dave said...

You know, I hadn't noticed that, but you're right.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home