Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Golden Smog

My sister is a much better rock fan than me.

Her tastes are both more refined and more catholic than mine; she likes more different kinds of bands than I do and she has more information about them than I ever would. When she goes to shows, she usually knows the group members’ names and something about their discography; she can point out when they’re playing a cover version and which band originally did the song.

I, on the other hand, just sort of like what I like.

That’s not to say I can’t give a complete accounting of every album—including the player line-up—King Crimson ever made, or cite the year any given record by fIREHOSE came out, but I don’t have that breadth of knowledge across the range of Anglo-American rock n’ roll my sister does.

She also tends to have a better appreciation for the art of rock music making than me; while we both admire thrashy punky stuff, she holds in higher esteem than I do people who can actually play and sing well. And this is especially true if they’ve been around for a while and have honed their chops in lots of live dates and recordings.

So, I think she would have really enjoyed the band I saw last night, Golden Smog, a bunch of musicians, mostly from Minneapolis, who can really crank it up and out and sing and play in tune all at once.

Since the ticket I got through my friend Brian at TI Cycles was free, I was set to be easily amused by however the band sounded, but even so, I think they were pretty good. Some of their songs were a bit too countrified for my ears, but I liked the ones that were more power-poppy.

They even did a Bowie cover tune, which was my favorite moment of the show. I can’t tell you the name of the song, but my sister could.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb's Lunch said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Deb's Lunch said...

well - I was determined to find the Golden Smog setlist from Monday, so I could tell you what Bowie song it was, but - even though I did find a cool set list search web site that I suspect was invented by Deadheads, and I heard some Golden Smog from their MySpace page - all's I can tell you is the singer in the band is the guy from the Jayhawks, and the picture of Jeff Tweedy from Wilco - who is not touring with them this fall - in the Wikipedia article looks like they took it when he was about 2. (BTW Tweedy's kid was a camper at the summer camp for one of the sessions when my younger son was a counselor)

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home