Monday, September 25, 2006

First Day of School

I start back to teaching today, after a hiatus of about four months; that’s the longest I’ve gone without being in the classroom since I started graduate school in 1994. So, I’m a bit nervous about whether I still know how to teach. I think I’ve had too much time to reflect on the role of the instructor this summer; I’m a little concerned I’ll be second-guessing myself the entire time.

First day of classes follow a pretty standard script, though: we introduce ourselves, talk about the syllabus, take on the big-picture concept of the overall course. Students check each other out and in spite of themselves, choose the seats they will likely sit in for the rest of the quarter.

My goal this year is, more than ever, to try to create experiences where learning matters. I’m increasingly becoming more fed up with talking and writing as assignments; I want students to do something. This is probably because I want to do something; I’m hoping they inspire me to be less of a blowhard and more of an agent for positive change in the world.

As a teacher, I think that I make a huge difference in my students’ experiences; however, I’m constantly reminded that my effect is much less. A student contacted me last week, certain I had been his instructor, asking for a syllabus to a class that I didn’t even teach.

This morning, about 7:50, I got an email from a student telling me she wouldn’t be in class today at 8:45. Imagine my concern when, as far as I knew, class isn’t until 1:15. A few moments of panic ensued while I checked the online catalogue while pulling on my socks and shoes in case she was right about the meeting time.

As it turned out, though, my impression of when class meets is the correct one. I may not remember how to teach, but I can still read a time schedule

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just what are you teaching this term?

6:40 PM  
Blogger Professor Dave said...

Intro to Philosophy and
Ethics and Social Problems

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home